cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Licenses (was Re: Image Serializers)
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:51:55 GMT
Robin Green wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Er, I hate to point this out, but the post that started this off was in
> error. The open source PNG Encoder is under the GPL, not the LGPL, unless
> there is some other version I don't know about.
>
> http://catcode.com/pngencoder/

Ouch, that's totally different.

> > >must be freely licenced to the FSF or something like that.
>
> The FSF _owns_ a lot of code merely because it recommends to individual
> people that they donate code to it for legal reasons, just like the ASF
> does.

I find this offensive for the ASF. Unlike GNU, we are not trying to
legally impose our view of the world on top of others: we try to create
a common technology background for software that enforces open
standards, using the simplest possible licence that both protects the
developers and doesn't limit the code's scope.

> But there is no legal requirement to do so. (Anyway, that's not what
> you said, but it sounded like you were alluding to it.)

Of course, I assumed "redistribution".

> If Megacorp Inc has a problem with making certain code available to others,
> they will equally avoid contributing under either the LGPL or the Apache
> license. But that doesn't mean they won't _use_ the products under those
> licenses - cf Apache, Linux.

You are totally right, but I would not want to stopping distributing
Cocoon because I don't want to make it GPLed, would you? :)

> In fact, even GPLed code can have proprietary mods if they are not
> _distributed_ - or if Linus Torvalds makes a legally-dubious exception! ;)

The whole legal business of open source licenses is totally fake. I bet
that not a single OSS license could stand a court trial. Let's hope this
will never be the case.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.