cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Image Serializers
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:39:52 GMT
"Zisch (Matthias Meier), NetHorizon AG" wrote:

> Content-MD5: VnumcS15YO3aGiIbfRCAGQ==
>
> Hi Stefano,
>
> [...]
> >> What in the world is wrong with the LGPL? code that links against it can
> >> have any license whatsoever, we just have to release any modifications we
> >> might make to the original library under the LGPL. As viral licenses go, I
> >> think LGPL is a good one and we shouldn't hesitate to rely on packages
> >> released under it.
> >
> >It's not a problem with me or you or anybody that understood the "idea"
> >behind open source. But as far as the ASF goes, there are things that
> >simply can't work once you have a xGPL license. Problems include people
> >from big companies that can't work on a project because a little clause
> >in a stupid library says that if you do, all that companies pattents
> >must be freely licenced to the FSF or something like that.
> [...]
>
> >From what I know about Open-Source-Licenses, that is (almost ;-) true for the
> GPL, but not for the LGPL! As Donald said, you are allowed to link/use/integrate
> code under the LPGL without affecting any other code of the same project. Only
> if you make changes to the code under the LPGL itself (!), you must release the
> changes (again) under the LPGL. So it should be (almost ;-) no problem to rely
> on libraries released under the LPGL for Cocoon -- or did I completely
> misunderstood the FSF licenses?

No, you did not.

The problem is that _people_ get those licenses right, but normally
_companies_ don't.

Yeah, companies are made of people... and lawyers. That's the
difference. :)

Anyway, my original point was:

1) if we need code, look around
2) if you find some code that is GPL-ed, it's useless
3) if you find code LGPL-ed and some other BSD, let's try to use the BSD
4) if only LGPL is available and code is not trivial, we'll use it

How does it sound as a design pattern?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.