cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: multilanguage support [was: proposed battleplan]
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2000 11:38:40 GMT
rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > +1
> > ok
> > makes sense
> > makes perfect sense (but don't tell me to write it!)
> > Ok.
> > Cool.
> > me too.
>
> Wow!  (and we've already written it for you)

"wow" what? if it makes sense, we say +1 and we move on implementing it.

Oh, yeah, you come from the tomcat world :)

> > So, for what I can understand from your picture, the impact of
> > multilanguage support is both on the taglib filter (responsible of
> > generating the pure XSP code) and on the page-compiler/serializer
> > (which should perform this BSF wrapping when compiling the page).
> >
> > Is this right?
>
> I don't yet know enough about Cocoon, but it sounds right.
>
> The changes shouldn't be large.  Mostly bookkeeping to keep track of which
> language is intended to be used for any given xsp element depending on
> where it came from, and inserting calls to BSF into the portions of the
> page-compiler/serializer which processes <xsp:expr> and <xsp:logic> tags.
>
> And I'll try to wrapper BSF itself so that it can be replaced should
> somebody feel so inclined.

This is wise... consider wrapping BSF and make it a cocoon2 component
(org.apache.cocoon.component.xxx), then the other components responsible
of doing XSP will have access (as Composers) to this cocoon-ed BSF
wrapper so that you can plug in differe scripting frameworks if others
come available.

Even if I strongly doubt this will ever be the case if we can make BSF
open source under the Apache flag. Anyway, the architecture is there and
the interfaces are complex at first, but very handy once you get to know
them.

Sam, if you want commit access on xml-cocoon, you just have to ask for
it.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.