cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Image Serializers
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2000 10:57:17 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > > Concrete implementations of this interface are responsible for taking a
> > > BufferedImage and outputing it to an OutputStream.  A JPEG implementation is
> > > trivial, as the JDK comes with a JPEG codec.  PNG's are also fairly easy as
> > > there is a Java package called PNGEncoder which is under the LGPL.
> >
> > Is there a BSD alternative to that?
>
> What in the world is wrong with the LGPL? code that links against it can
> have any license whatsoever, we just have to release any modifications we
> might make to the original library under the LGPL. As viral licenses go, I
> think LGPL is a good one and we shouldn't hesitate to rely on packages
> released under it.

It's not a problem with me or you or anybody that understood the "idea"
behind open source. But as far as the ASF goes, there are things that
simply can't work once you have a xGPL license. Problems include people
from big companies that can't work on a project because a little clause
in a stupid library says that if you do, all that companies pattents
must be freely licenced to the FSF or something like that.

And I don't want to loose people like Sam or James, just because they
_happen_ to work for a big company.

Personally, I would love to see GPL-ed the whole world.

But I'm more realistic than rms. :(

Law is irrational. The only way to make it rational is to place the
irrationality to a minimum. Read: Apache license. If you even go
further, you get problems.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.