cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@localbar.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2 suggestions
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2000 02:59:23 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > 2)  Internationaliztion
> It's just a matter of time, but as television linguistically unified
> nations in the last 50 years much more than schools or governments, the
> internet will do it for the world.
>
> Massive standardization and lost of enriching differences? rather the
> opposite: more enriching communication opportunities for everyone.
>
> Sorry if I divagated, anyway, I agree: as long as we don't have a single
> language, makes sense to have i18n resource boundles.

It will take more than another generation for a single language to develop, but
it is inevitable that this will happen over time. The 'distance' factor is the
language developer, and the abscense of it will unify communications.

The funny part is, that the 'winners' in this very fundamental change will be,
beside the countries already speaking that language or something close to it,
small countries and third-world countries, especially in Asia, where adoption and
fluency in English is already good. Countries like Scandinavia, Holland and
East-Europe will preceed the larger countries like Germany, France and Italy,
since the markets there 'demand' regional content at the moment, and there is a
critical mass for providing information (although partial) to those markets. At
the end, these countries will actually be suffering, and they never realized why
or how. And this will be the case, no matter what some extraordinary Italians on
this list thinks.

However, unless we want to wait until this unified world comes about, Cocoon
needs to seriously address internationalisation. At the moment, this makes a
difference between the tools available, and being XML based should give Cocoon a
head start.

Niclas