cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2 suggestions
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:59:35 GMT
Mike Engelhart wrote:

> Kevin A. Burton wrote:
>
> > It is eventually inevitable that everyone will speak the same language.
> > Although it won't may still be called English the influence from other
> > language will modify and introduce newer words.
> Sadly this is mostly true
>
> > It does scare me that cultural diversity will fade but you can get in
> > the path of the future or you will get run over :(
> I don't really want to get run over, but as I don't want to be known as
> someone who was a member of a movement (i.e., programming geeks) who helped
> give the death blow to cultural diversity on Earth, I'd love to be able to
> access ResourceBundle's from my XSP pages. :-)

The roman empire _forced_ the use of the latin language (which is can be
considered the technical-english of today moved back 2000 years ago)
thru-out all their empire. Which ranged from the scottish border to
today's Israel.

There was a jewish man called "Jesus Nazarenus" that was born at the
time where the most common and used language was latin... was he
influenced by this "lack of cultural diversity imposed by a common
language"?

Or look at ancient greece, where different state-cities fought battles
but shared a common language and became the craddle of occidental
sciences.

I see that programming geeks will _free_ this world from a babel of
languages that _imposes_ diversity, reduces communication, and increases
differences between rich and poor countries. Of course, geeks, rather
than soldiers, appreaciate cultular differences and will try to
"preserve" them from being forgotten, like monks did for ancient
thinkers.

But, please, let's remove this stereotype that a single world-wide
language is a bad thing, ok? As long as it's open and not imposed, I
can't see why it would be a bad thing to have.

(of course, nothing stops you from knowing more than one language, but
this shouldn't be necessary)

I'd be happy to see the internet and freedom of speech succeed where
governments and wars couldn't in the whole history of mankind. It would
prove something, wouldn't it? :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.