cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2 suggestions
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:40:32 GMT
Mike Engelhart wrote:

> OK - although I haven't looked at the C2 CVS closely, here are 2 things that
> I think need to be addressed in Cocoon 2.
>
> 1)  XSP error handling.
>     XSP needs to be able to be able to handle unexpected errors by returning
> either a dynamic error page or rerouting to another predefined xml page that
> is maybe set in Cocoon.properties or somewhere in the xsp taglib itself.
> It's very painful while testing to see errors on populateDocument() being
> spit out without being handled.   Obviously my web site will not have any
> errors EVER but for those poor souls that have bugs in their code, I think
> this would be very useful :-)

totally +1

> 2)  Internationaliztion
>     I've ranted about this several times on this list but haven't gotten any
> response so I'll rant again....Internationalization using ResourceBundle's
> with Cocoon/XSLT sucks!  With XSP, you can't access ResourceBundle classes
> for some unknown reason.  I've posted this to cocoon-dev about 5 times and
> haven't gotten any response as to why you can't access ResourceBundle
> classes in the same classpath. Something must be going on behind the scenes
> with ResourceBundle's and the classloader that I don't understand.  Also, I
> don't think XSP is where the language lookup's necessarily should take place
> (although I wouldn't mind it happening right now). Thoughts on this???

Hmmmm, never thought about this, anyone else?

> As for Xalan, while I can write an extension to lookup strings in
> ResourceBundle's it only works with Xalan and it only works with Java right
> now so it's a bit limiting and I'm not sure of any performance penalties for
> doing this in-process with the transformation.
> I don't know about anyone else but the apparent convergence on English as
> the language of the web/future scares the crap out of me....

We are not converging to English. We are converging to a english-based
language that includes words and expression from every other language
glued by a simplified grammer and verbal structure.

I don't cry because nobody speaks latin anymore. I wouldn't if italian
became a dead language.

In fact, I'm sure most of the native american languages were rich of
very interesting linguistic concepts... but the problem is not they are
rarely spoken, the problem is they left very little trace.

Anyway, I don't understand why people is so afraid of the anti-babel....
In fact, languages developped because of distances. Remove distances out
of the equation, why would you need more than one linguistic contract
between humans if it included everything needed?

It's just a matter of time, but as television linguistically unified
nations in the last 50 years much more than schools or governments, the
internet will do it for the world.

Massive standardization and lost of enriching differences? rather the
opposite: more enriching communication opportunities for everyone.

Sorry if I divagated, anyway, I agree: as long as we don't have a single
language, makes sense to have i18n resource boundles.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.