cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.0: proposed battleplan
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:30:21 GMT
rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >The idea is to take what Ricardo already wrote for Cocoon 1.x and make
> >it a serializer for Cocoon2. Well, it goes in two steps:
> >
> > 1) move all the taglib stuff into a filter so that one can go from
> >
> >     <util:date/>

> >     <xsp:expr>new Date()</xsp:expr>
>
> That presumes that the default page language is Java, or that expressions
> in other languages are not supported.

Wrong.

The only restriction we currently have in XSP is that only one single
programming language is allowed for logic in a single XSP page. This
seemed reasonable when we didn't have taglibs, today, we could picture
one page having taglibs that are created using different programming
languages.

Anyway, the util:date --> new Date() translation is done by the "util"
logicsheet... and it's up to who creates the logicsheet to use the
programming he likes most (in theory, at least)

> Or even more scary (and exciting!)
> is the possibility that multiple languages can be intermixed on one page.

right, this is not possible. Af first I thought about flexibility
syndrome because I was expecting one and only one programmer to work on
a single XSP page at once. But Ricardo's taglibs changed the picture
since logicsheet and page creation are finally decoupled.

Maybe we should rethink about that part.

Sam, do you have any ideas on how this can be implemented?

> >any volunteer for this part? In fact, it's not writing new code, it's
> >just refactoring, most of the time.
>
> This is an area I wish to actively participate in.  Own is a different
> question - one I can't answer yet as I am not familiar enough with the
> code.  Is this something that you feel that I could pick up, perhaps with
> suitable coaching?

If you can, I'd be extremely happy about it and I'm sure Ricardo will be
more than honored to work with you on this. Am I right, my friend?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.