cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.0: proposed battleplan
Date Sun, 09 Apr 2000 20:10:24 GMT
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> Ok kids... Since I've seen no -1 to my suicidal decision to "take over"
> this project :) and, actually, I got a lot of feedback on that, here's
> the "battle plan" for the next release of Cocoon 2.0
>
> Please comment, add, modify, revise, do whatever you want with this, and
> say if you're interested in taking care of a certain part (and if you
> have time :)
>
>     Pier
>
> Cocoon 2.0 Beta Battle Plan (Deadline: JavaONE 2000)
<snip>

How politically correct of you :)

>    - Review of the whole org.apache.arch.* packages and synchronization
>      with the main Avalon/James trunk

+1024

>    - Enable dynamic generator compilation loading
>
> B) HTTP Servlet:
>    - Better integration with Tomcat/Servlet 2.x (with x>0)
>    - Better handling of engine creation, errors ...
>
> C) Offline/Caching Functionality:
>    - Write it :)

You already have it with Jetspeed.  Check out
org.apache.jetspeed.cache.disk.  Don't reinvent the wheel please :)

> D) XML Utilities:
>    - Double, triple check compliance and conformance of all XML utils
>      expecially those converting from SAX->DOM and adapting SAX1->SAX2.
>
> E) Root components:
>    - Object Store: define better the interface and implement it so that
>      we can keep instances of stored objects between restarts
>    - Cache Manager: do something :)

A definition of what the Cache manager should do would be good. :)

<snip>
> - XLink (Gerard van Enk)
>     Pier said: "I don't see how XLink can work on the server side"

I thought so right off the bat.  But it is perfect on the server side.
The linking between documents and them providing a "arch" between all
them could be translated into <a> links for HTML... xLink and XHTML A
links are not compatible so... we should take care of that :)

--
Kevin A Burton (burton@apache.org)
http://relativity.yi.org