cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.0: proposed battleplan
Date Sun, 09 Apr 2000 10:31:43 GMT
Robin Green wrote:

> >    - Java Bytecode Serializer (that's scary!)
>
> Very interesting! :D
>
> Forgive my cluelessness, but I'm just trying to figure out what that would
> take as input? Would it just convert escaped bytes into real bytes, or what?
> And what are the uses envisaged?

This is the key piece for the internally-distributed page compilation
infrastructure.

This serializer "renders" XSP pages as java bytecode, much like FOP
"renders" FO pages as PDF.

Then, Cocoon will be able to use the output for this pipeline as the
source of execution (and thus XML generation) for the next call to this
URI. Thus performing page compilation.

> :D Maybe I could write a Java compiler in XSLT, which takes a parse tree as
> input ;)

The idea is to take what Ricardo already wrote for Cocoon 1.x and make
it a serializer for Cocoon2. Well, it goes in two steps:

 1) move all the taglib stuff into a filter so that one can go from

     <util:date/>

     <xsp:expr>new Date()</xsp:expr>

 2) then the serializer has just to know the _basic_ XSP tags and it's
much easier to write.

Note that using XSLT to move from an XSP to java is what really makes
sense... even if debugging such a thing is a pain to say the least :)

any volunteer for this part? In fact, it's not writing new code, it's
just refactoring, most of the time.

Ricardo, what's your status?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.