cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Washeim <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon subprojects [Was: Project Coordination]
Date Sat, 08 Apr 2000 13:03:54 GMT

Ricardo Rocha wrote:

> "Marcelo F. Ochoa" wrote:
> > I am working  in Prism (formerly OWSKiller - Oracle PLSQL Producer in
> > Cocoon 1.7) and I have plan to adapt this producer as Generator in version
> > 2.0. . .  I have plan to contribute with my code to ASF, what do you think
> > about this?.
>
> On Fri, 07 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > > I have no problems with this... but if you do, Prism would need to
> > > become a cocoon subproject of some kind.... I don't want to include
> > > vendor-specific stuff inside the Cocoon distribution.
> > > What do others think?
>
> On Fri, 07 Apr 2000, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > The organization of sub-projects is another story. Is it to be hosted on the
> > current servers, or is each sub-project responsible for its own hosting, having
> > a links page in Cocoon?
>
> +1 for a links page.
>
> For now, each related project should be hosted on its own server. It's
> probably more convenient to let the sub-project trend evolve before
> imposing much structure on it...
>
> Creating a link page for Cocoon-based tools sounds very convenient
> (and simple). Of course, this should include stuff also based on proprietary
> technology. I agree with Stefano such technology should not be part of
> the main distribution but , hey!, the number of tools built on top of Cocoon
> is a good indicator of its success...
>
> Ricardo

I'm also +1 for the links inclusion mechanism. It should, however, be clear to
people coming in that implementations of proprietary 'interfaces', for instance as
the ows 'generator', are available. It would, obviously, simplify initial trial
implementations for many people who are, perforce, already working with proprietary
tools.

You could say that's 'public relations' :)

Mark