cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: Cocoon subprojects [Was: Project Coordination]
Date Sat, 08 Apr 2000 11:49:23 GMT
Ricardo Rocha wrote:
> "Marcelo F. Ochoa" wrote:
> > I am working  in Prism (formerly OWSKiller - Oracle PLSQL Producer in
> > Cocoon 1.7) and I have plan to adapt this producer as Generator in version
> > 2.0. . .  I have plan to contribute with my code to ASF, what do you think
> > about this?.
> On Fri, 07 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > > I have no problems with this... but if you do, Prism would need to
> > > become a cocoon subproject of some kind.... I don't want to include
> > > vendor-specific stuff inside the Cocoon distribution.
> > > What do others think?
> On Fri, 07 Apr 2000, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > The organization of sub-projects is another story. Is it to be hosted on the
> > current servers, or is each sub-project responsible for its own hosting, having
> > a links page in Cocoon?
> +1 for a links page.

Link page is easy... but maybe subprojects require more
community-engineering to really bootstrap... I would not like to have a
cocoon subproject hosted at, for example, sourceforge because we are not
able to provide a CVS module and the right community tools... things
that, for us, are pretty easy to do.
> For now, each related project should be hosted on its own server. It's
> probably more convenient to let the sub-project trend evolve before
> imposing much structure on it...

I agree on this. I admit I never used Oracle products so Marcelo's Prism
could be the greatest tool ever and I wouldn't even notice. But
everything that connects or uses Cocoon deserves recognition for that.
And support and respect from all of us.
> Creating a link page for Cocoon-based tools sounds very convenient
> (and simple).

I'm doing it right now.

> Of course, this should include stuff also based on proprietary
> technology.

Totally, as far as the main distribution is not bound to it, I'm all in
favor of that. Gee, software is a commodity... if you already paied your
Oracle licenses, why should you not use it?

> I agree with Stefano such technology should not be part of
> the main distribution but , hey!, the number of tools built on top of Cocoon
> is a good indicator of its success...

Totally! Like I said, I'm more than happy to provide help to increase
visibility for the project... the only thing I'm a little concerned
about is the number of these projects... the ASF projects are not _that_
scalable... we need better community tools such as does.

Damn, this tigris thing is becoming a real pain in the ass...

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.