cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project Coordination
Date Sat, 08 Apr 2000 00:07:17 GMT
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > I'm more than happy with that! For a couple of reasons:
> >
> > 1) I have less and less time to dedicate and project coordinator is not
> >    as easy job
>
> Hahahaha :) Thanks for scaring me out more than I was five seconds ago.
>
> > 2) Not being an easy job, I would like more people to have the
> >    experience about it
>
> Ok... Now I'm in panic :) :)
>
> > > It's a hella scary to do this (never volunteered to be release manager
> > > for anything), but since i'm luckily paid to work on Cocoon (thanks
> > > Exoffice!) and I am probably the one knowing the 2.0 internals better,
> > > I'm ready and willing to take this responsability.
> >
> > This is great and I have no problems about it. Pier, I warn you: you'll
> > regret this :) What do you do when nobody writes documentation and a
> > thousand users want it and there's no jolly-stefano that does everything
> > else outside code?
>
> I know it... I know I will regret it... But I need to give to my boss a
> some kind of "warranty" that this project will reach a certain "level"
> for JavaONE...

Good. I like this.

> > It's a boring job, but someone has to do it.
>
> It's not boring... it seems to be fun... It's just a big
> responsability...

don't tell me :)

> > > The plan is quite ambitious, but, here is my idea: Cocoon 2.0 is made of
> > > some basically different components:
> > >
> > > A) Engine:
> > >    1) Sitemap/Matchers/XML Utitlities
> > >    2) Cocoon internal request/response model
> > >    3) Avalon configuration/interfaces (org.apache.arch)
> > > B) HttpServlet:
> > >    1) Adapter from HTTP world to the Cocoon engine
> > > C) Basic "core" Generators/Filters/Serializers
> > >    1) Parser Generator
> > >    2) XSP Generator
> > >    3) XSLT Filter
> > >    4) XINCLUDE Filter
> > >    5) XML Serializer
> > >    6) HTML Serializer
> > > D) Additional Generators/Filters/Serializers
> > >    1) SQL/LDAP
> >
> > No, these should be XSP taglibs (along with the Mail Taglib that James
> > is working on)
>
> Only taglibs??? Ok... Cool... Any comments on that?

This is how it should be... using tag-reacting processor will _always_
be slower than compiling the code right into the generator.

> > >    2) SVG
> > >    3) XSL-FO
> > >    4) any other?
> >
> >      5) Text Serializer (for csv, rtf, vrml)
>
> Ok... I agree on that...
>
> > Ok, here's my vision for Cocoon2 beta:
> >
> > > A) Engine:
> > >    1) Sitemap/Matchers/XML Utitlities
> > >    2) Cocoon internal request/response model
> > >    3) Avalon configuration/interfaces (org.apache.arch)
> >
> > The engine should be complete. Beta means "no planned changes to the
> > API"... this is -very- ambitious. I would add:
> >
> >      a) JAXP support
> >      b) TRaX support (with Serialization API)
>
> JAXP and TRAX are not "inside" the engine... They are accessed thru
> components...

You're totally right.

> > > B) HttpServlet:
> > >    1) Adapter from HTTP world to the Cocoon engine
> >
> > I would like to throw in the MailServlet adapter... make Federico work
> > on this.
>
> Hahahaha :) Not for the beta... There's still too much shit to do on the
> JAMES front to do that...

Ok, no prob.

> > > C) Basic "core" Generators/Filters/Serializers
> > >    1) Parser Generator (file/URL/resource)
> > >    2) XSP Generator
> >          - taglib filter
> >          - java bytecode serializer
> > >    3) XSLT Filter
> > >    4) XINCLUDE Filter
> > >    5) Serializer
> >
> > All of these should be _standard_ distribution and all of these are
> > required for Cocoon2 beta.
>
> Yep... That was the plan...
>
> > Note there is just one serializer class since we're end up using TRaX
> > serialization interfaces.
>
> Hmmmm......................

At least we should try to...

> > > D) Additional Generators/Filters/Serializers
> > >    2) FOP (FO + SVG)
> >
> > I would love to see the FOP project a littel bit faster... but James
> > Tauber is absent and also Fotis has no time to dedicate. Many people are
> > working on enhancements, but there is no real project coordinator so the
> > project is kinda stalled and this is sad, considering the need we have
> > for such a project.
>
> Well... Since I'm coordinating here... You can coordinate there :)
> Hahahaha :) Just trying to fill your schedule :)

I'm working on a secret project that I won't tell _anyone_ until I have
code to show. :)

Changing the world is becoming my job... Cocoon2 design is rock solid...
I have to find something else to do to fill my whiteboard now :)

> > Anyway, it's just a component, so I would not bind our beta release with
> > something that belong to another project. the deal is: when they are
> > ready, we ship it.
>
> Exactly... That's why it was on D... Apart from internals (XSP,
> engine..) and _REQUIRED_ components (XSLT and a parser), we shouldn't
> bind out release to anyone...
>
> > NOTE: if we implement our engine based on the serialization APIs, we
> > gain the ability to call FOP without even requiring to add code... just
> > simply use the "FOP" serialization method and this can be done directly
> > on the configuration file. (also for true for XML/HTML/Text)
>
> I still don't like that part of TRAX... I'll dig into it a little bit
> more....
>
> > The componentized architecture was created to help parallelize the job.
> > So, guys, pick the component you'd like to see implemented and help on
> > that.
> >
> > Let's rock and roll :)
>
> I'll summarize all comments and prepare the battle plan for tonight...

Kewl :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.