cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C2
Date Sat, 08 Apr 2000 00:02:13 GMT
Mike Engelhart wrote:

> Just a quick question.   I've basically had to hold off on looking at the
> Cocoon2 cvs because, well, I have to finish my site and if I see all the
> great changes coming I may not finish until October :-).   I already delayed
> my launch the minute i started working with Cocoon 1.6....
>
> My question is, will my site be able to be dropped into Cocoon2 with minor
> changes or will I need to rewrite large parts of it to get it working.  My
> site is all servlets/XSP with no custom processors and just the stock Cocoon
> distribution.
> I guess what I'm really wondering is there anything I can do to ease the
> transition when the time comes...

Few rules for easy transition and "forward compatible" cocoon usage:

1) if you use DCP, don't! use XSP.
2) if you use SQP processor, don't! use XSP.
3) if you use LDAP processor, well, you should use the LDAP taglib if we
had one :) (we'll do sooner or later)..

the general patter is: use XSP + taglibs wherever possible!!! This will
require the least transition.

Everything else will work _almost_ as it is.

The only thing is that no <?cocoon-...?> PIs will be used in Cocoon2 so
you'll have to write your sitemap.... but I don't think that would be a
problem since we'll provide detailed information on how to do that.
(yes, Pier, someone will have to do it :)

How does that sound?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.