cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project Coordination
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2000 18:51:00 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I'm more than happy with that! For a couple of reasons:
>
> 1) I have less and less time to dedicate and project coordinator is not
>    as easy job

Hahahaha :) Thanks for scaring me out more than I was five seconds ago.

> 2) Not being an easy job, I would like more people to have the
>    experience about it

Ok... Now I'm in panic :) :)

> > It's a hella scary to do this (never volunteered to be release manager
> > for anything), but since i'm luckily paid to work on Cocoon (thanks
> > Exoffice!) and I am probably the one knowing the 2.0 internals better,
> > I'm ready and willing to take this responsability.
>
> This is great and I have no problems about it. Pier, I warn you: you'll
> regret this :) What do you do when nobody writes documentation and a
> thousand users want it and there's no jolly-stefano that does everything
> else outside code?

I know it... I know I will regret it... But I need to give to my boss a
some kind of "warranty" that this project will reach a certain "level"
for JavaONE...

> It's a boring job, but someone has to do it.

It's not boring... it seems to be fun... It's just a big
responsability...

> > The plan is quite ambitious, but, here is my idea: Cocoon 2.0 is made of
> > some basically different components:
> >
> > A) Engine:
> >    1) Sitemap/Matchers/XML Utitlities
> >    2) Cocoon internal request/response model
> >    3) Avalon configuration/interfaces (org.apache.arch)
> > B) HttpServlet:
> >    1) Adapter from HTTP world to the Cocoon engine
> > C) Basic "core" Generators/Filters/Serializers
> >    1) Parser Generator
> >    2) XSP Generator
> >    3) XSLT Filter
> >    4) XINCLUDE Filter
> >    5) XML Serializer
> >    6) HTML Serializer
> > D) Additional Generators/Filters/Serializers
> >    1) SQL/LDAP
>
> No, these should be XSP taglibs (along with the Mail Taglib that James
> is working on)

Only taglibs??? Ok... Cool... Any comments on that?

> >    2) SVG
> >    3) XSL-FO
> >    4) any other?
>
>      5) Text Serializer (for csv, rtf, vrml)

Ok... I agree on that...

> Ok, here's my vision for Cocoon2 beta:
>
> > A) Engine:
> >    1) Sitemap/Matchers/XML Utitlities
> >    2) Cocoon internal request/response model
> >    3) Avalon configuration/interfaces (org.apache.arch)
>
> The engine should be complete. Beta means "no planned changes to the
> API"... this is -very- ambitious. I would add:
>
>      a) JAXP support
>      b) TRaX support (with Serialization API)

JAXP and TRAX are not "inside" the engine... They are accessed thru
components...

> > B) HttpServlet:
> >    1) Adapter from HTTP world to the Cocoon engine
>
> I would like to throw in the MailServlet adapter... make Federico work
> on this.

Hahahaha :) Not for the beta... There's still too much shit to do on the
JAMES front to do that...

> > C) Basic "core" Generators/Filters/Serializers
> >    1) Parser Generator (file/URL/resource)
> >    2) XSP Generator
>          - taglib filter
>          - java bytecode serializer
> >    3) XSLT Filter
> >    4) XINCLUDE Filter
> >    5) Serializer
>
> All of these should be _standard_ distribution and all of these are
> required for Cocoon2 beta.

Yep... That was the plan...

> Note there is just one serializer class since we're end up using TRaX
> serialization interfaces.

Hmmmm......................

> > D) Additional Generators/Filters/Serializers
> >    2) FOP (FO + SVG)
>
> I would love to see the FOP project a littel bit faster... but James
> Tauber is absent and also Fotis has no time to dedicate. Many people are
> working on enhancements, but there is no real project coordinator so the
> project is kinda stalled and this is sad, considering the need we have
> for such a project.

Well... Since I'm coordinating here... You can coordinate there :)
Hahahaha :) Just trying to fill your schedule :)

> Anyway, it's just a component, so I would not bind our beta release with
> something that belong to another project. the deal is: when they are
> ready, we ship it.

Exactly... That's why it was on D... Apart from internals (XSP,
engine..) and _REQUIRED_ components (XSLT and a parser), we shouldn't
bind out release to anyone...

> NOTE: if we implement our engine based on the serialization APIs, we
> gain the ability to call FOP without even requiring to add code... just
> simply use the "FOP" serialization method and this can be done directly
> on the configuration file. (also for true for XML/HTML/Text)

I still don't like that part of TRAX... I'll dig into it a little bit
more....

> The componentized architecture was created to help parallelize the job.
> So, guys, pick the component you'd like to see implemented and help on
> that.
>
> Let's rock and roll :)

I'll summarize all comments and prepare the battle plan for tonight...

	Pier