cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project Coordination
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2000 10:44:48 GMT
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> Hello kids :)
>         Since it seems that Stefano kindly gave me the responsability of
> managing the 2.0 release (just to quote him: "No, Pier is simply a
> crappy project coordinator" hehehe) but without letting me know of his
> thoughts and/or decisions (or probably I just didn't get it, I'm kinda
> stubborn, and lately my mind is somewhere else :), I wanted to know if
> it's cool with all of you (expecially with you Stefano, Cocoon is your
> baby!) if I could be the release manager from here to the 2.0 beta (due
> for JavaONE) trying to organize a little bit the effort of the whole
> group...

I'm more than happy with that! For a couple of reasons:

1) I have less and less time to dedicate and project coordinator is not
as easy job
2) Not being an easy job, I would like more people to have the
experience about it

> It's a hella scary to do this (never volunteered to be release manager
> for anything), but since i'm luckily paid to work on Cocoon (thanks
> Exoffice!) and I am probably the one knowing the 2.0 internals better,
> I'm ready and willing to take this responsability.

This is great and I have no problems about it. Pier, I warn you: you'll
regret this :) What do you do when nobody writes documentation and a
thousand users want it and there's no jolly-stefano that does everything
else outside code?

It's a boring job, but someone has to do it.

> The plan is quite ambitious, but, here is my idea: Cocoon 2.0 is made of
> some basically different components:
>
> A) Engine:
>    1) Sitemap/Matchers/XML Utitlities
>    2) Cocoon internal request/response model
>    3) Avalon configuration/interfaces (org.apache.arch)
> B) HttpServlet:
>    1) Adapter from HTTP world to the Cocoon engine
> C) Basic "core" Generators/Filters/Serializers
>    1) Parser Generator
>    2) XSP Generator
>    3) XSLT Filter
>    4) XINCLUDE Filter
>    5) XML Serializer
>    6) HTML Serializer
> D) Additional Generators/Filters/Serializers
>    1) SQL/LDAP

No, these should be XSP taglibs (along with the Mail Taglib that James
is working on)

>    2) SVG
>    3) XSL-FO
>    4) any other?

     5) Text Serializer (for csv, rtf, vrml)

> There is still to decide what to move between the C and D list, and to
> have a "wish list" of things that need to be placed in D, just to have a
> global project overview.
>
> What I would like to see for JavaONE is surely A, B and C with decent
> quality (ok, bugs are allowed, but not too many, we need to have
> something usable...), and shoot for it. If we can agree on a structure,
> it'll be easier to draw some lines from here to the beta release, and
> see wether we can, or we can not (unthinkable!) have then...
>
> What do you guys think?

Ok, here's my vision for Cocoon2 beta:

> A) Engine:
>    1) Sitemap/Matchers/XML Utitlities
>    2) Cocoon internal request/response model
>    3) Avalon configuration/interfaces (org.apache.arch)

The engine should be complete. Beta means "no planned changes to the
API"... this is -very- ambitious. I would add:

     a) JAXP support
     b) TRaX support (with Serialization API)

> B) HttpServlet:
>    1) Adapter from HTTP world to the Cocoon engine

I would like to throw in the MailServlet adapter... make Federico work
on this.

> C) Basic "core" Generators/Filters/Serializers
>    1) Parser Generator (file/URL/resource)
>    2) XSP Generator
         - taglib filter
         - java bytecode serializer
>    3) XSLT Filter
>    4) XINCLUDE Filter
>    5) Serializer

All of these should be _standard_ distribution and all of these are
required for Cocoon2 beta.

Note there is just one serializer class since we're end up using TRaX
serialization interfaces.

> D) Additional Generators/Filters/Serializers
>    2) FOP (FO + SVG)

I would love to see the FOP project a littel bit faster... but James
Tauber is absent and also Fotis has no time to dedicate. Many people are
working on enhancements, but there is no real project coordinator so the
project is kinda stalled and this is sad, considering the need we have
for such a project.

Anyway, it's just a component, so I would not bind our beta release with
something that belong to another project. the deal is: when they are
ready, we ship it.

NOTE: if we implement our engine based on the serialization APIs, we
gain the ability to call FOP without even requiring to add code... just
simply use the "FOP" serialization method and this can be done directly
on the configuration file. (also for true for XML/HTML/Text)

The componentized architecture was created to help parallelize the job.
So, guys, pick the component you'd like to see implemented and help on
that.

Let's rock and roll :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.