cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <Giacomo.P...@pwr.ch>
Subject Re: Project Coordination
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2000 17:48:10 GMT
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> Hello kids :)
>         Since it seems that Stefano kindly gave me the responsability of
> managing the 2.0 release (just to quote him: "No, Pier is simply a
> crappy project coordinator" hehehe) but without letting me know of his
> thoughts and/or decisions (or probably I just didn't get it, I'm kinda
> stubborn, and lately my mind is somewhere else :), I wanted to know if
> it's cool with all of you (expecially with you Stefano, Cocoon is your
> baby!) if I could be the release manager from here to the 2.0 beta (due
> for JavaONE) trying to organize a little bit the effort of the whole
> group...

I realy appreciate that someone takes the lead on this projekt to
coordinate work !!!
As I mentioned some mails ago, I have some spare time to contribute.

> It's a hella scary to do this (never volunteered to be release manager
> for anything), but since i'm luckily paid to work on Cocoon (thanks
> Exoffice!) and I am probably the one knowing the 2.0 internals better,
> I'm ready and willing to take this responsability.
>
> The plan is quite ambitious, but, here is my idea: Cocoon 2.0 is made of
> some basically different components:
>
> A) Engine:
>    1) Sitemap/Matchers/XML Utitlities
>    2) Cocoon internal request/response model
>    3) Avalon configuration/interfaces (org.apache.arch)
> B) HttpServlet:
>    1) Adapter from HTTP world to the Cocoon engine
> C) Basic "core" Generators/Filters/Serializers
>    1) Parser Generator
>    2) XSP Generator
>    3) XSLT Filter
>    4) XINCLUDE Filter
>    5) XML Serializer
>    6) HTML Serializer
> D) Additional Generators/Filters/Serializers
>    1) SQL/LDAP
>    2) SVG
>    3) XSL-FO
>    4) any other?
     5) "Turbine-like" Generator ? (just an idea I was working on
recently)

> There is still to decide what to move between the C and D list, and to
> have a "wish list" of things that need to be placed in D, just to have a
> global project overview.
>
> What I would like to see for JavaONE is surely A, B and C with decent
> quality (ok, bugs are allowed, but not too many, we need to have
> something usable...), and shoot for it. If we can agree on a structure,
> it'll be easier to draw some lines from here to the beta release, and
> see wether we can, or we can not (unthinkable!) have then...
>
> What do you guys think?

Go on, distribute concrete work! I'm willing to get my hands dirty ;-)

>     Pier (feeling weird trying to do what he wasn't designed to :)
>
> --
> pier: stable structure erected over water to allow docking of seacraft
> <mailto:pier@betaversion.org>      <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>

PWR Organisation & Entwicklung            Tel:   +41 (0)1 856 2202
Giacomo Pati                              Fax:   +41 (0)1 856 2201