cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <Giacomo.P...@pwr.ch>
Subject Re: XSP and Cocoon2 Generators
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 19:56:19 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> > There is always a balance between used resources and achieved
> > performance. You do database denormalization because of performance as
> > well but it costs you disk space and managment efforts. And a cache
> > system as I've mentioned below will end up serving static pages most of
> > the time.
>
> Absolutely correct. In fact Cocoon has a cache even if both the web
> server and a proxy down the road should/would perform better caching.
> And does indeed help. But you don't create a thousands of index keys on
> your tables for every possible unique row, don't you? This is my point.

Yes I know (sigh). You're absolutly right! :-)

> > > Normally the most frequently changeable point is the generator. So, you
> > > waste a lot of resources by saving the intermediate points.
> >
> > I can't verify that so you might have probably right ?-)
>
> I can't either, so I might be wrong :) But it appears as a reasonable
> guess to me.

Ok.

> > > Well, while I agree with you that general sub-pipelining is probably a
> > > bad thing (smells of FS too much), this is a not a subpipeline but a
> > > special generator that reuses the cocoon engine to work.
> >
> > [What's FS]
>
> Flexibilty Syndrome, an anti-pattern that I defined to express the
> dangerous idea that "if you do '1', '2' and '3', you should do 'n'"

Ok, now I'm up to date and it make sense to me too.

> Guess why I don't like Perl :)

Sometimes it's good enought for doing quick hacks, you know (scripts you
only use once or twice)!

Giacomo

> --

PWR Organisation & Entwicklung            Tel:   +41 (0)1 856 2202
Giacomo Pati                              Fax:   +41 (0)1 856 2201