cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XSP and Cocoon2 Generators
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 19:49:03 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > But my best argument to compile an XSP page into a generator instead of
> > a filter is runtime performance: a generator spits events directly,
> > while a filter interprets events generated by something else.
>
> Then a generator is just a degenerate filter. You feed it <go/> and it
> spits its events.

Well... More or less it is... In the vision of XML data
production/consumption (the basic interfaces used by Cocoon to deal w/
SAX events, the first indicating a source of XML events, and the second
indicating the target of those), the three components are:

- Generator extends XMLProducer
- Filter extends XMLProducer, XMLConsumer
- Serializer extends XMLConsumer

I'd still prefer, anyway, to see filters as "degenerate generators", and
not all the way around...

	Pier :)