cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XSP and Cocoon2 Generators
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 12:28:40 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > > But my best argument to compile an XSP page into a generator instead of
> > > a filter is runtime performance: a generator spits events directly,
> > > while a filter interprets events generated by something else.
> >
> > Then a generator is just a degenerate filter. You feed it <go/> and it
> > spits its events.
>
> Ha! Everyone loves a smart aleck. :) Good point though.

Of course. I draw the design patterns one again:

 - producer
 - consumer

then

 - generator = producer
 - filter = producer + consumer
 - serializer = consumer

what "degenerate filter" means is that "filter extends producer" and
you're totally right.

Small point, I concur, but we should try to separate the design patterns
as much as we can and enforce them with java interfaces whenever
possible.

Using something as "degenerate something-else" is not good practice,
IMO.

Even if I agree that from a development point of view it may not change
anything.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.