cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@localbar.com>
Subject Re: Documentation grammars, was:[Re: [RT] latest wonderings around W3C land and surroundings]
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2000 04:16:51 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I proposed to choose DocBook for documentation because it includes
> authoring patterns solidified into a schema.

I have been following this pattern, and maybe I have missed some major point, but
isn't Stefano talking about Cocoon (and related) documentation??

If so, why is anyone arguing?

If Stefano is discussing DocBook outside the scope of Cocoon's documentation,
I would say it is at the most a recommendation, and each and everyone of us can
make the judgement whether this is any good, just as we can choose to use any
tool we want, such as Cocoon itself, or craft it by hand ourselves.

Regarding the general versus specialized DTDs, IMHO, it seems that people forget
one thing (except Pier who sits at that end).
Although it is possible to craft a different DTD for every single topic, and the
effort of doing so seems reasonable ( neglecting the fact that tag learning is
not trivial), there are more efforts on top of the DTD than the XML document.
Especially the XSLT for, let say, 5 different browsers (current situation) and
possibly another half dozen of handheld devices in the near future. If one can
not re-use these, content generation becomes a nightmare.

Niclas