cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ray Cromwell <...@msgto.com>
Subject Re: JDOM and Thank You :)
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

Could you summarize at a 30,000ft level what it does and why it is
needed? I tried going to the web site, but there were no specs.
Browsing the JavaDoc gave me the impression it's intended to allow
I/O of XML from storage other than just text.

However, one thing concerned me was that the JavaDoc didn't say
that their versions of Node, Element, et al, implemented the
org.w3c.* interfaces. IMHO, any API that doesn't atleast implement
the w3c interfaces is dead-on-arrival.

Building at a higher level on top of DOM, extending it, wrapping it,
etc I can see, but I wouldn't use an API that didn't atleast give
me a DOM interface when I needed it. Interoperability is far more
important than syntactic sugar.

Just my two cents. I'd appreciate a summary of it, since the web
site doesn't explain much.

-Ray

Ray Cromwell
MsgTo.Com, Inc.