cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ray Cromwell <>
Subject Re: JDOM and Thank You :)
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

Could you summarize at a 30,000ft level what it does and why it is
needed? I tried going to the web site, but there were no specs.
Browsing the JavaDoc gave me the impression it's intended to allow
I/O of XML from storage other than just text.

However, one thing concerned me was that the JavaDoc didn't say
that their versions of Node, Element, et al, implemented the
org.w3c.* interfaces. IMHO, any API that doesn't atleast implement
the w3c interfaces is dead-on-arrival.

Building at a higher level on top of DOM, extending it, wrapping it,
etc I can see, but I wouldn't use an API that didn't atleast give
me a DOM interface when I needed it. Interoperability is far more
important than syntactic sugar.

Just my two cents. I'd appreciate a summary of it, since the web
site doesn't explain much.

Ray Cromwell
MsgTo.Com, Inc.  wrote:
>I've spent a nice evening listening to Jason Hunter and Brett
>McLaughlin's talk at the Mountain View Java User's Group about their
>idea of JDOM.
>What's JDOM? A smarter way (designed and specifically optimized for
>Java) to handle XML data.
>Since I really enjoyed their talk (trying - unsuccessfully - to play the
>devil's advocate for the whole evening) and I think they come up with a
>good API, I would suggest to all those interested in dealing w/ XML data
>and DOMs to take a look at <> and to help those two
>out with some feedback (and maybe some code? it's not that hard?).
>Have fun :) :)
>	Pier
>pier: stable structure erected over water to allow docking of seacraft
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>For additional commands, e-mail:

Message To Spammers -- Game Over!  Get spam-free email at

View raw message