cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From ros...@lineone.net
Subject RE: SVG Toolkit
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2000 13:43:47 GMT

> The CSIRO SVG Toolkit has been updated. Is it planned to
> use this in the SVG serializer rather than the current
> svgv_0_8 release?
> It also uses JIMI for imaging into various output formats
> (Jimi's range of supported formats includes GIF, JPEG,
> TIFF, PNG, PICT, Photoshop, BMP, Targa, ICO, CUR,
> Sunraster, XBM, XPM, and PCX, )
> Has anyone looked at this yet??

Amazing timing!  :-)  On Friday I posted some code for Cocoon
2 to Pier, specifically:

* SVGSerializer, using the latest CSIRO SVG toolkit
* ImageEncoder interfaces for encoding BufferedImage objects
to image files, and implementations using Java Advanced Imaging
(use of JIMI is deprecated).  In the future there will be an
Image I/O extension that shall be used.

I have patched the SVG toolkit to render images on a transparent
background (instead of solid white), CSIRO have this patch and
it should be in the next release.

The ImageEncoder implementations are exposed as Components in
the sitemap, so that any Serializer which creates images can
use them to create image files on any format (at the moment only
PNG and JPEG are supported).

Oh - I just noticed that you claim JIMI allows saving of GIFs.
 Are these compressed?  (Unisys own a patent on LZW) If so, a
 GIF encoder using JIMI might be very handy, until Image I/O
comes out with (I hope) GIF compression code.

Ross Burton

-----