cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Possible multithreading bug in XSPJavaProcessor
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2000 22:55:06 GMT
I'm not the world's greatest expert on multithreading, but can I humbly
suggest that there might be a lurking bug in XSPJavaProcessor?

As far as I can see, the only sychronization in Cocoon is
1) when creating the engine
2) the MemoryStore
and 3) an XSPUtil function (not relevant).

So although there is MemoryStore synchronization, there is no
synchronization related to the .java and .class files which are created by
XSP. So you could theoretically have one thread partway through writing a
file, and another thread reading that file - causing a hard-to-fathom error.

So I suggest synchronizing on compile(), and load() in XSPJavaProcessor, and
on whatever writes the .java file to disk (synchronizing on the same object
in all three cases). It introduces a bottleneck, but we can't edit the
compiler, so it's the best we can do.

Or have I missed something obvious?

--
Robin