cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Stimmel <jon-li...@stimmel.net>
Subject Re: Where to begin? =)
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:13:50 GMT
On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 12:40:23AM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Distributed Cocoon engine?
>
> No absolute way! Do you want to sent SAX events on the network? Are you
> kidding?

You certainly wouldn't want to try to distribute the cocoon pipeline
itself, but there are lots of reasons why you would want to (or be
forced to) distribute your data sources (you wouldn't suggest that
cocoon and a SQL database must always reside on the same machine,
would you?). I suspect that David's example is the latter, while you're
talking about the former.

> Performance comes from scalability not distribution.

Perhaps in the case of cocoon itself, but in the general case all
three are interrelated. A small, fast application won't need
to be scaled as quickly as a slower, larger one. An applictiona
which can be easily (and efficiently) distributed across multiple
machines will scale more effectively than one which is restricted to a
single machine. A small, fast application probably won't benefit
(directly) from attempts to distribute its workload across multiple
machines, but likely will scale well by creating multiple, independent
installations (which is in itself a form of distribution).