cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Glowacki <d...@ssec.wisc.edu>
Subject Re: Platforms for Java 2...
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2000 16:00:08 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:
> Sun tell me there's "no demand" for Java 2 on FreeBSD. I suspect that
> this is simply coz people don't think its worth asking, but some
> facts'n'figures would help...

You could always refer them to their own Java Request for Enhancements
page, where "Port jdk-1.2.x to FreeBSD" has been the #1 RFE since
around November:

	http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/top25rfes.html

Aside from that, there's a volunteer port effort going on right now:

	http://web.inter.nl.net/users/kjkoster/java/index.html

You've got to fetch the jdk 1.2.2 sources, apply some patches and
build things yourself.

(And, for the record, I'm using FreeBSD for my JServ-based servlet
development and would *love* to keep using it for Tomcat et al.)