cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <Paul.Russ...@uea.ac.uk>
Subject Re: "CPAN for java"
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2000 21:34:56 GMT
On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 10:13:05PM +0100, Robin Green wrote:
> Paul Russell <Paul.Russell@uea.ac.uk>
> >I'm looking to build some kind of bean/class
> >repository to operate as a kind of CPAN for java...

> We also have non-open-source categories, which are a bit less
> well-organised. Can I suggest that rather than duplicating the ODP's work,
> you could apply to become an ODP editor - unless you want to add more
> features than the ODP offers, or want to build a different kind of beast
> altogether.

The origional concept was indeed to build a different beast
altogether, but the whole reason for doing this is to plug a
hole that my company could do with being plugged, so I'm open
to suggestions etc.

> (For mirroring, don't forget we already have
> http://mirror.ac.uk/ )

Yep, I know. (Spot the lucky swine with a 10MB/sec connection :)

> >Anyone got
> >any preferences/thoughts on licences for that, or should we leave
> >it upto the bean/class author?
>
> For a repository? Personally, I provide classification and information, but
> don't exclude anything (after all, ODP editors aren't allowed to exclude
> whole classes of software from the entire directory just because they don't
> like the licensing!)

Yep, sounds fair... I'd want to *strongly* encourage open source
however, for all the usual reasons (hey, I'm a 'geek', I like to
fiddle with code if it breaks ;)

Paul
--
The above is not an official statement from my employers.