cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: "CPAN for java"
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2000 22:13:05 GMT
Paul Russell <Paul.Russell@uea.ac.uk>

>I'm looking to build some kind of bean/class
>repository to operate as a kind of CPAN for java...

See the link in my new sig - which includes/excludes stuff based on the Open
Source Defininition. I try to put license notes in square brackets as
annotations.

See also the "open content" ODP license:

http://dmoz.org/license.html

We also have non-open-source categories, which are a bit less
well-organised. Can I suggest that rather than duplicating the ODP's work,
you could apply to become an ODP editor - unless you want to add more
features than the ODP offers, or want to build a different kind of beast
altogether. (For mirroring, don't forget we already have
http://mirror.ac.uk/ )

>Anyone got
>any preferences/thoughts on licences for that, or should we leave
>it upto the bean/class author?

For a repository? Personally, I provide classification and information, but
don't exclude anything (after all, ODP editors aren't allowed to exclude
whole classes of software from the entire directory just because they don't
like the licensing!)

--
Robin

260+ Open Source Java links!