cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: XSP size limit??
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:44:20 GMT
Mike Engelhart <mengelhart@earthtrip.com> wrote:

>I've been successfully using XSP for a few months now and have not run into
>anything like this.  I have an XSP file that is only 35K in size.  It's a
>well-formed document according to tidy so I've skipped that as a possible
>problem.  Anyway, I can't get this file to work.. When I try and access the
>file with my browser, according to top,  java just takes over the CPU and
>spins forever. When I look in the repository directory there is a .java and
>.class file.  The class file is a portly 350K!!!! :-)
>The .java file appears syntactically correct.  Whatever is going on though,
>it will not run through a stylesheet and display in a browser.  It just
>hangs.  When I cut the size of the one of the elements in half (about 100
>tags), it works fine.
>Any ideas, workarounds, solutions!!
>
>I'm running RH 6.1 Linux, Apache 1.3.12, JServ 1.1b3, Tomcat 3.1beta, and
>IBM JDK 1.1.8 on a Dual PII-333

Tut, tut, you didn't specify your Cocoon version! :)

Anyway, a little trick I often use when a program hangs for ages is to get
it to display a stack trace. With Sun's Solaris JVM this is done by sending
a SIGQUIT to the VM, which is either CTRL+\ if it is a foreground process on
the current terminal, or

kill -QUIT x

where x is the pid of the java process, if it is a background process (as
yours probably would be).

I know you can do it in Linux Blackdown with a CTRL+\ if it is in the
foreground. Don't know about the IBM JDK.

Unfortunately this doesn't always work, and isn't always helpful. E.g. bad
FTP connections screw it up. But it's worth a try.

Sounds like an IBM compiler bug to me, at a guess.