cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Washeim" <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2 suggestions(off topic -> language evolution)
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:55:33 GMT
Political RANT

I've been struggling with the question of whether or not the coming
mono-culture is a good thing for a long time.

I was born in Bolivia, raised in Switzerland, Germany and Canada. I speak
German (mother tongue), French and English.

For 20 years I lived in Canada amidst an emigrant nation(s) assimilated
twice over. First to the British Colonial habits of the (post plains of
Abrahan) British domination of Canada, then to the American cultural
megalith.

I live in Europe today (Stockholm, Sweden, next I'm moving to Berlin)
because I could no longer bear to commit myself to a community which, though
it shares a common language and culture (superficially) is driven further
and further apart. Namely, into the suburbs and the quietude of a disengaged
existance. Disengaged and disenfranchised.

Though the cultural chauvanism of the French may seem extreme, if you
consider the 1000 years of central administration from paris and the heights
of the enlightment (lows if you're a Catholic :) ), it's not such a
surprise.

As a German, I'm clearly very pessimisstic about that kind of chauvanism. My
people have done to much harm.

Nevertheless, the behaviour of 'Global' enterprises (mine included) is
largely amoral and barely accountable. Making it easier, I fear, will only
mean that instead of Emperors or Megalomaniacs grabbing the reigns, the CEOs
will. Of course, if you know anything about Krupp and Thyssen during the
second world war will know how low the corps will stoop.

Now, if the common language were esperanto?!

Sorry for the rant.

Regards, a guilty capitalist pig

Mark Washeim