cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Washeim" <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: Documentation grammars, was:[Re: [RT] latest wonderings around W3C land and surroundings]
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2000 15:22:36 GMT
>/ "Mark Washeim" <esalon@canuck.com> was heard to say:
>
>[yes, we're drifting off topic here]
>
>| There is NO SUCH DTD. I mentioned the CALS table model (US military spec)
in
>| an earlier mail. It's the basis of much of what's in HTML. It's also
>
>While I'd say that a few HTML 4.0 table features are CALS
>inspired, I think saying "much of what's in HTML" is CALS
>inspired is a considerable overstatement. But nevermind.

Sorry, I meant to say that the HTML 4.0 <TABLE> element and it's 'members'
are derived from the CALS  model, a statement of the obvious.

>| limiting in ways that make it useless for publishing while very usefull
for
>| industrial purposes (where the constraints of 'layout' are not in
effect).

>Given the huge number of documents that I've seen formatted with
>CALS tables, I can't fathom what you mean. The relative colspec
>stuff in CALS would be fantastically useful for layout
>constraints, if it were provided in HTML.

Yes and no. I'm referring to the problems introduced by 'overlapping'
regions in many of the layout's that I encounter (ie, foisted upon me by my
design departments). Often, these require regions of overlap while tabular
(or graph) data is being composited with background images in a 'slightly'
irregular way. FOs producing PDFs (postscript) don't suffer from the
inherent limitations of HTML table rendering, in this regard. Often to
produce similar effects, we use DIVs (layering). As you can imagine, that's
a nightmare to maintain.

I think you're thinking of the typical and proper use of tables without the
'adornments' so popular among contemporary designers. ???

Regards,
Mark