cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2 SQLFilter
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2000 07:50:45 GMT
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Giacomo Pati wrote:

> Donald Ball wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> > > Hi folks
> > >
> > > I've played with the SQLFilter from Cocoon 2 and I've finally got it to
> <snipped/>
> > > featured as the XSPSQLLibrary from the Cocoon 1.x distribution.
> >
> > HAaaa, you're KIDDING me? I haven't even tested the code myself, I was
> > just keeping myself occupied while listening to a talk I didn't understand
> > at apachecon and wanted to get something written while I had Pier at my
> > beck and call. How much did you have to clean up?
>
> Oh, are you the original author? I didn't found your name in the source.
> Not really much clean up. Initializing some variables (because it
> throwed me some 'null pointer exception'), introducing some parameters
> (I've looked in XalanFlter how to do it) and getting namespaced element
> production to work (this comes from DirectoryGenerator).

Hoorah! It really _does_ work!! I didn't have to debug my own code! This
rocks! Thanks for pushing this code over the hump, Giacomo. I added
another parameter to make the whitespace indenting stuff you added
optional; I reckon generating whitespace between elements in this case is
just a waste of resources since the output is likely to go to XSLT, but it
sure is nice to have for debugging purposes. Let me know if you disagree
though.

I actually _just_ got cocoon2 working locally a few minutes ago and I
gotta say - Pier, this stuff is quite slick. It took a little while for
the brain to switch from old school "map extension to servlet" to new
school "associate URL prefix with sitemap", but it makes sense. I reckon
that most people are going to want to use mod_rewrite so as to not have
the /zone/servlet/ prefix in their URLs - or does tomcat provide an
alternate facility for that kind of thing?

Anyway, I checked in your patches and samples, Giacomo, thanks very much.
Keep 'em coming.

- donald is somewhat delirious due to sleep deprivation, please forgive him