cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Problems with Cocoon 1.7 sql processing
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2000 00:19:39 GMT
On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Anders Heintz wrote:

> Hello again...
>
> > When I am trying to extract data from the database,
> > VARCHAR and INT fields are correct, but TEXT and BLOB
> > fields are not. Seems like the values returned are
> > references, they are definitely not strings.
>
> Solved this by changing from a ResultSet.getObject() call
> to a  ResultSet.getString() in SQLProcessor.processQuery.
> I would appreciate comments, will anything malfunction due
> to this change?

It will certainly break things on some other databases. Jeez, JDBC sucks
in terms of cross-driver compatibility. I think the proper thing to do in
this instance would be to check to see if the Object is a 'reference' (I
think you mean a Reader or InputStream?) and if so, to serialize that to a
String. That should ensure maximum cross-driver compatibility. Do you
think that'd work? If so, can I beg for a patch?

- donald