cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject RE: [RT] latest wonderings around W3C land and surroundings
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:38:09 GMT

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Gerard van Enk wrote:

> > this should really be
> >
> >   TV <- box <-(mpeg2)- satellite <- gateway <-> cocoon
> >          |                             ^
> >          +--> phone -------------------+
> >
> > of course TV sets don't have modems :)
> >

> Not yet ;-)
>
> > > This sounds very interesting...although I'm not getting it completely.
> > > I'm working at a broadcasting organization, so this is a part  which
> > > can be interesting for us!
> >
> > You mean, we could borrow one of your satellite tranponders and have an
> > open source Cocoon channel? that would be great :)
> >

> We don't have satellite transponders, we're a public broadcasting
> organization.....

Actually most of this, if not all, of this has been done. In much the same
way except using a normal web site and the gateway was piping into a VC
circuit directly. The phone link in this setup was a voice/DTFM dialing
card on the same gateway machine. It took very little time to set up; but
the lag over intelsat was cumbersome. cabletv might be more fun.

Dw