cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject Re: R:R:pathargs problem
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2000 15:17:05 GMT

> Hmmm, I see your point, but using xsl:version is not illegal and should
> mean the same thing... in that case, Xalan has a bug you should fix :)

I don't think it is the same thing.  The URI of the version attribute is
null for the attribute in one case, and non-null in the other case.  I
don't think XT recognizes a xsl:prefix where it's not specified either.  I
just want to do the right, conformant thing.  It would be wrong of Xalan to
let you do xsl:version in the xsl:stylesheet attribute if it's not legal
according to the XSLT specification.  I'm cc'ing the great minds to see if
we can get some consensus on this.

Folks: the crux of the issue is whether a namespaced version attribute in:

xsl:version="1.0">

should be recognized by the XSLT processor.  I assume this same issue would
apply to all attributes on xsl elements.  My take is that xsl namespaced
attributes on xsl namespaced elements should not be recognized (for no good
reason other than that's how I suppose XML works, and I think that's what's
in the XSLT recommendation).

-scott

                    Stefano

                    Mazzocchi            To:     cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org

                    <stefano@apac        cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                    he.org>              Subject:     Re: R:R:pathargs problem

                    02/29/00

                    09:33 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    cocoon-dev

Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus wrote:

> > Then I'm sorry but we just found a XSLT spec bug :)
> >
> > it should really be "xsl:version" since otherwise we don't know whose
> > version that is.
>
> One assumes that if an attribute is not namespaced, it is "owned" by the
> element.

Where is this behavior specified?

> Therefore, I don't think there is any ambiguity about who's
> version it is.  (The same is not true with simple LRE stylesheets, where
> clearly the version attribute must be namespaced).

Hmmm, I see your point, but using xsl:version is not illegal and should
mean the same thing... in that case, Xalan has a bug you should fix :)

> Or is there some spec out there somewhere that specifies version
> attributes, that I'm not aware of?

No. Nothing I know of.

> I didn't think this was either part of
> the Infoset spec, Namespace spec, or XML spec, but I could be wrong.  I
> guess maybe it should be part of one of those specs.
>
> -scott

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.