cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject RE: R:R:pathargs problem
Date Sat, 04 Mar 2000 00:22:25 GMT

"Timm, Sean" <STimm@mailgo.com> wrote:
> I don't see any reason that you *can't* specify xsl:version, but it's
> not required.

Review the XSLT recommendation quote again:

"An element from the XSLT namespace may have any attribute not from the
XSLT namespace, provided that the expanded-name of the attribute has a
non-null namespace URI."

Over the past year I've tried to read James Clark-speak.  Since
xslt:version *is* in the XSLT namespace, then the above would seem to imply
that it is not legal.  If you invert the first part: "An element from the
XSLT namespace may *not* have any attribute *in* the XSLT namespace", then
you get how I am reading it.  This may be a misinterpretation somehow, or
an over application of legalism.  Hell if I know.  I just want a stylesheet
that Xalan let's you produce be interoperable with other processors.  So
clearly this has to be disambiguated by the WG.  Because we all want to
live in a world where users have choices about what software to run, these
legalisms are very important when it comes to standards.

-scott