cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mikael Helbo Kjær <...@dia.dk>
Subject RE: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:22:16 GMT
I have to say that for fail to see any purpose in waiting around for a IBM
implementation of JDK 1.2.2. While rumors has it (mainly on
http://www.javalobby.org) that an implementation has been done, but that IBM
wants to get a JDK 1.3 out instead, I must say that I really don`t see the
problem. I have tested and so has Volano (find the latest results of the
Volano Mark) that the JDK1.2.2 Blackdown/Inprise solution for Linux is very
adequate (scales very well), so JDK1.2.2 is now viable for Windows, Solaris
& Linux, which is by far enough for me to tell me that JDK1.2.2 is usable
for all of us including Cocoon. Now strangely I keep hearing a lot of
references to JDK1.1 stuff and while I can understand that people want to
stay on a platform they have created applications for, and that JDK1.2.2 is
considered slower. I still think that newer is almost always better. The
sheer number of bug fixes, enhancements and so on in the JDK1.2.2 is so that
I can`t even imagine using anything else (actually I`m squirming like a worm
under a hot lamp waiting desperately for JDK1.3). I have been using JDK
1.2.2 exclusively since it came out and I can say that I haven`t been
disatisfied yet (except of course with the I/O API which SO needs a
redesign, reprogram and efficiency enhancement). Sorry I`m rambling. As I
haven`t got a vote I`ll just say: Go for use of JDK 1.2.2 esspecially for
the Cocoon cache as it then can use the java.lang.ref package ;-) You`ll
have some problem with backward compatability but honestly folks, the
advantages are all for the JDK 1.2.2 (Blackdown`s implementation, JDK 1.2.2
bug fixes and access to the Soft/Weak/Phantom references in java.lang.ref)

Mikael Helbo Kjær

Software Developer @ DIA a/s