cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Sun, 19 Mar 2000 11:28:37 GMT
On 19/3/00 at 12:20 am, stefano@apache.org (Stefano Mazzocchi) wrote:

>> Gulp!
>>
>> Are you saying Cocoon 2 will only run under Java 1.2?
>> I hope not, there is no Java 1.2 for several platforms ....
>
>Win95/98/NT/2000 - yes
>Solaris - yes
>Linux - yes
>FreeBSD - yes (via linux emulation)
>AIX/AS400 - rumors that IBM JDK 1.2 was put on hold to put political
>pressure on Sun but it's ready to be shipped... may happen any day.
>
>So, what are we missing... oh yeah
>
>Beos
>QNX
>IRIX
>and last but not least MacOS

This is worse than I thought!

Just spoke to a friend who is on a MRJ list about what Apple is up to regarding Java 1.2.
He says:

    >Well it
    >looks like Apple have finished the MRJ3.0 (aka Java 1.3), looks like the Mac
    >wont ever get a Java1.2 version ever.
    [...]
    >Apple say that MacOS 8,9 wont be seeing MRJ3
    >Looks like a dev push for MacOS X Client.
    [...]
    >Maybe Apple have done it and have some stuff to still sort out, SUN JavaOne
    >say that Apple are now ahead of them on there spec. The Java Bean stuff on
    >the MacOS MRJ2.2 is way better then SUN's. Infact the SUN Java2 Bean lib
    >isent it the spec. :) funny...

If he is right, it looks like an update to Java >1.1n will happen when MacOS X Client comes
out late this year. MacOS X is built on top of a Unix kernal and NextStep etc.

>What do you guys think? Should we still aim for Java 1.1? Or just keep
>the core 1.1 and add plugins that require 1.2 separate but still leaving
>people with the ability to have basic functionality?

>Comments appreciated.

If moving to Java 1.2 would make the development easier, then it should happen.
It has to happen sooner or later ... it looks like Java 1.2 is widely handled enough to make
it worthwhile.

While it would definately be convenient to be able to run parts of Cocoon under Java 1.1n,
if this gets in the way of the dev effort, considering the numbers involved, it does not sound
worth it.

I hate to say this, I don't want to be cut off from Cocoon 2, even for a relativly short time
:) But if it makes sense in terms of the development, then I reckon it should happen.

regards Jeremy

      Jeremy Quinn                                             media.demon
                                                           webSpace Design
     <mailto:jeremy@media.demon.co.uk>       <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>
      <phone:+44.[0].207.737.6831>          <pager:jermq@sms.genie.co.uk>