cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Reid <jr...@agency.com>
Subject RE: Bug reports...
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:22:12 GMT
>> a)  A lot of people have no idea how to set them permanently
>> b)  Setting them permanently is different on different
>> distrubtions on Linux.
>> c)  There are different ways for users and all_users.
>> d)  Which does not include processes started at boot time,
>> such as JServ.
>
>But if they ARE set, we should use them first. Otherwise it
>will be hard to test new JVMs with the default start scripts.

If they're not set, I think that the way the Jakarta scripts work
is pretty good, which assumes that if JAVA_HOME isn't set, java is at
least in your path:
	JAVA_BIN=dirname `which java`
	JAVA_HOME=$JAVA_BIN/..

If JAVA_HOME isn't pre-set, and this fails, then user intervention
is required.

	>	Jason Reid
		Technical Consultant
		AGENCY.COM
		E jreid@agency.com
		http://www.agency.com

		"Do not meddle in the affairs of programmers,
		 for they are subtle and quick to anger."

> I disagree that Environment variables are a good way to go on Linux.
> a)  A lot of people have no idea how to set them permanently
> b)  Setting them permanently is different on different
> distrubtions on Linux.
> c)  There are different ways for users and all_users.
> d)  Which does not include processes started at boot time,
> such as JServ.

But if they ARE set, we should use them first. Otherwise it
will be hard to test new JVMs with the default start scripts.

Say I have a production tomcat running and want to test out
a new IBM JDK1.4 ...

export JAVA_HOME=~/superIBMjdk1.4
tomcat/bin/tomcat start

> I think many (most?) Linux users agrees with me. (But I may
> also be completely
> wrong).

I think setting JAVA_HOME should be encouraged, so use that
as the default, and only guess if its not set

chris.

-- Chris Stevenson ----------------------- SSABSA --
Senior Secondary Assessment Board of South Australia
60 Greenhill Road, Wayville SA 5034, Australia
email: chris@ssabsa.sa.gov.au
phone: (08) 8372 7515
  fax: (08) 8372 7590