cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Engelhart <mengelh...@earthtrip.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Layout-driven vs. content-driven
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2000 15:24:59 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> I just read an article by Michael Leventhal
> (http://xml.com/pub/au/Leventhal_Michael) regarding XSL in general, and FO in
> particular.
>
> It is a bit old, but I think it is relevant in our context.
>
> http://xml.com/xml/pub/1999/05/xsl/xslconsidered_1.html
> (terribly slow site...)
>
> Sad(?) to say; he managed to convince me on a lot of points.
>
> The article put forward some challenges, and I would like to see what kind of
> arguments the Cocoon users/developers have to defend their choice, or have we
> all
> been blinded by a "XSL anti-pattern"??
>
> I realize there is great risk of flames in this subject, BUT any comments?
>
> Niclas

I read the first page of the article and gave up.  First of all it is very
out of date (1 year old exactly).  Second the author is talking about
client-side XSL transformation vs. client-side transformation using CSS
which has nothing (at this point) to do with Cocoon or the Cocoon process of
site development/publishing.  His points were not convincing at all from the
start.  Anyone who has attempted in even the smallest way to implement a
site relying on client side transformation even using the latest browsers
realizes that doing this creating a world of pain for themselves.  Writing a
shitload of javascript to do simple formatting for the multitude of browsers
out there is a complete waste of time.  I still think XSLT and Cocoon have
some difficult aspects and I plan on writing a summary of these once I
finish my site but on the whole it is the single best model for site
development that uses w3c standards (and - bonus - OSS) that  I have come
across in my several years of web development.

What the crap is an anti-pattern anyway???