cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Noels Steven <steven.no...@netitbe.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Layout-driven vs. content-driven
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2000 09:14:30 GMT
> Now, let's look again at a possible marked-up representation of the
> layout
>
>  <area name="page" xmlns:x="http://www.w3.org/1999/XML/xinclude">
>   <area name="top">
>    <area name="logo">
>     <x:xinclude x:href="/images/logo.svg" x:parse="xml"/>
>    </area>
>    <area name="bar">
>     <x:xinclude x:href="/images/topbar.svg" x:parse="xml"/>
>    </area>
>   </area>
>   <area name="side">
>    <area name="index">
>     <x:xinclude x:href="/index.fo" x:parse="xml"/>
>    </area>

What's the point of going to FO's? Even if a 'fo2html' serializer did an
equivalent job as the 'classic' xml2html filter, this seems like overdoing
it.

Since we have been implementing a similar 'attack plan' for rendering
xml-based websites from our content mgmt system, I can only agree with the
plan Stefano sketched - do not forget however that most of the sitebar stuff
will be dynamically generated, and depending on the position of the document
in the site hierarchy.

We attach two stylesheets to one XML document, which has been 'enriched'
with navigation and location info. One stylesheet creates the basic page
grid using that info, the other one does the basic layout stuff.

</Steven>

(been lurking for months - not a coder - but congratulating this group for
its professionalism - this list is a joy to read each morning)