cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:52:57 GMT

Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>Well, as far as I can tell, the only non-supported thing about native
threads
>are that there is a message about it at start-up. I am using native
threads,
>and has been doing so for about 6 months (Blackdown first, Sun beta and
Sun
>final later) still without any problems. I am also dependent on JNI code
>I/O blocking in a thirdparty package, so I know what you are talking
about.

It is worse than that...using the JNI calls to create a JVM from a C
program which has made any system calls previously will trap outright.

>The JIT?? I must confess that I run interpreted, but the press release
about
>the Sun Linux committment clearly stated the incorporation of a JIT. Was
it
>from Inprise or Symantec??

I checked again.  While the Sun JDK for Linux does not include a JDK, you
can download one separately from Inprise.

>I thought the i386 people are now under the Sun umbrella...

I don't know what "umbrella" they are under, but they offer for download a
separate JDK which may not pass the Sun compatibility tests but doesn't
trap when you call JNI_CreateJavaVM.

- Sam Ruby