cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:11:41 GMT

> Linux - yes

Having tried to use the Sun JDK 1.1.2 on Linux for PHP, I am not so sure.
It doesn't have a JIT (so it isn't competitive with IBM JDK 1.1.8 on speed
IMHO), nor does it support native threads (making the JNI Invocation API by
C programs which make use of system calls useless).  The latter made this
JDK useless to me.

By contrast, I've had good experience with the Blackdown JDK.  This is not
officially released, however, as it doesn't yet pass all the Sun
compatibility tests.

>AIX/AS400 - rumors that IBM JDK 1.2 was put on hold to put political
>pressure on Sun but it's ready to be shipped... may happen any day.

Check again:
   http://www.ibm.com/java/jdk/aix/index.html
   http://www.as400.ibm.com/java/java2.htm

Note that these require specific versions of these operating systems
(including patches).  It may still be a while before they are widely
deployed.

- Sam Ruby