cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From COFFMAN Steven <SCoff...@CBSINC.com>
Subject RE: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:48:46 GMT
Actually, that's not entirely accurate. You can generate HTML with embedded
SVG images via XSL with no AWT.
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/education/transforming-xml/xmltosvg/
index.html

Cocoon generates images (other than the above example) via FOP. FOP only
requires AWT for bitmap graphics. FOP->PDF requires no AWT. FOP->SVG (it's
coming) will not require it either. Alternatively, use static image files.
-Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Niclas Hedhman [mailto:niclas@localbar.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2000 9:30 PM
To: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: the never-ending story.

Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> Ross Burton wrote:
> > * Swing (not relevant)
>
> Very relevant since Cocoon can produce images out of XMLs (like SVG
> rendering). It's true, it's not "core" but it's one of the features we
> cannot avoid to have.

But rendering of images should be over java.awt.image.BufferedImage, which
is
JDK 1.0 (according to API docs.)
Because Sun has promised that "somewhere in the future" BufferedImage will
not
require X Windows to be running, which is now the case on Linux.  This is
rather
important, since Cocoon will very often sit on servers, which typically
doesn't
have X started.

> > * Classloader extensions?  I've heard this but are they useful?  It
seems
> > that the current problem with classloaders stems from bugs in
JServ/Tomcat.

> They'll be useful when thinking about XML page compilation (XSP)... This
> is _CORE_ :)

Are we talking loading classes in and out of memory??  That is handled in
JServ,
so 1.2 is not necessary.
Are we talking about the Extension classloader?? That is mostly for
convinience.

Or are we really talking java.net.URLClassloader??  Which is cute, but not
entirely necessary for our needs.

> I believe that, since our first non-beta release is scheduled for
> october, we should try to focus on those environments that in october
> will have a reliable JDK-1.2 implementation...
> And IMVHO Linux will be one of those...

Although your arguments are weak, I strongly agree with you.

Collections are nice, but not mandatory to get the job done.

I would say that Weak References is THE strongest argument. Which will
enable
far better caching algorithms among other things.
Perhaps some security classes will be worth mentioning as well, but it seems
that Cocoon wish to leave that outside its scope.

Niclas