cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject The "multiple cocoon instance" problem
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:46:12 GMT
People,

I dedicated my whole day to find a solution for this problem and I gave
up, at least for Cocoon 1.x

Here is why:

1) the XSP subsystem is based on resource loading. There is
_NO_ABSOLUTE_WAY_ we can make resource loading work on non-system
classloaders on both jdk 1.1 and 1.2... yes, my patch for jserv makes
the system work for getResourceAsStream() but getResource() doesn't work
unless we create a specific protocol handler, but then we fall back into
the old URLFactory shit!

URL + classloading = your portability is fucked! I really hope that 1.4
solves the URLFactory problem. Whenever that will be.

2) so, I said, remove the need for resources and make our users modify
"one single config line"... while this is very painful for me to say...
actually it would not work... there's more

3) XSP requires a java compiler. javac works against the system
classloader. And this kills us all together!

4) Even more: two instances of cocoon means OutOfMemoryExceptions all
over the place since the two are unaware of their existance... yes, this
could be carefully tuned (say, by giving half memory to one and half to
the other, hoping for them not to conflict)

So I gave up for Cocoon 1.x: if you want cocoon.jar in your servlet zone
repository, you loose the ability to use XSP. Period.

For Cocoon2, I'm afraid that problem 3) remains and also 4) is not going
anywhere if we cannot make use of softreferences in a useful way.

So, I'm stuck and to be quite honest, pretty sad: from one side, I'm
happy that I'm able to underlying so many problems in the java
architecture, on the other hand, I wished I did stupid command line
applications all day long!

Sometimes it just sucks to be a pioneer...

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.