cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: my final proposal
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:36:52 GMT
Gerard van Enk wrote:

> When will 1.2 be adopted by the ASF???

Of course, I cannot speak for the ASF and, even more, I cannot speak for
this project, so I speak for myself:

we'll move to JDK 1.2 when there is need for it.

And Cocoon2 will have parts that will be 1.2 based but will try to make
it easier for all users to make this transition as much painless as
possible.

There are companies that are _investing_ on this project. Big bucks, I
might say.

We, as a group, have the industrial responsibility to provide good
software and the open source responsibility to keep the community
together.

I should point out that the second goal is many times harder than the
first one (things that few commercial companies understand today!).

So, while there is an urgent need for evolution, solid reasons not to
throw away 1.1 compatibility were posed and since, after careful
evaluatation, I found no specific need to have 1.1 incompatible code in
cocoon's core, I made my proposal.

I'm more than willing to upgrade to a newer java version ASAP but I
don't want to even slightly create forking frictions in this project.

Broken software can be repaired. Fragmented communities cannot.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.