cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <>
Subject Re: [cocoon2] XSP in the new architecture
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2000 19:31:37 GMT
Hi folks

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Ok,
> let's factor this out and let's give the right roles to people so that
> we don't step on each-other toes.

> The missing pieces are:
> Generator thru a call cocoon, execute it and hook this generator with
> its pipeline. It's sort of a generator "stub". Should not perform any
> internal caching or checks... everything must be done at the engine
> level so that it can be shared with the other modules.
>  2) XSP filter: should transform XML that contains XSP taglibs into
> XSP-only namespace. Consider this a "rotator": all the namespaces axis
> are _rotated_ to the XSP axis.
>  3) XSP2Java serializer: should transform XSP into java source code that
> implements Generator and then pass this thru a java compiler to produce
> bytecode.
> [note to who implements this: generators should spit SAX events only.
> And should _never_ call new String() or deal with strings. They should
> use char[] almost all the time, performing the i18n encoding at compile
> time to improve performance. It should also make sure to implement
> Modificable and allow the XSP to override the hasModified() method.
> Performance of the compilation is of minimal importance]
>  4) the sitemap/caching system must be aware of the ability to have
> subpipelines for generators. And it must be able to cache the
> subpipeline results.
>  5) if the XSP2Java uses XSLT to create the java code, the XSLT
> transformer must be made a component and the XSLTFilter should use the
> component rather than the XSLT processor directly. (I'll make this
> change ASAP myself since it's much more elegant)
> As you see, it's easier to implement and debug it because it's more
> fragmented and more integrated into the Cocoon2 architecture. There are
> no overlapping points, there are very few critical points and all the
> neutron-star dense XSPProcessor code has been factorized into smaller
> and more practical components.
> Comments?
> Any volunteer for the required components?

Now that I've played with serializers (FO2PDFSerializer), filters
(LogFilter, SQLFilter) and generators (I've hacked Turbine into a
generator) I will see if I can write the 1) loding generator. Because it
depends on some other pieces it gives me time to study the core Cocoon 2
engine to get that generator working. Or is there anybody else working
on it? I hope this will motivate others to step in soon to get the beast

> --
> <>                             Friedrich Nietzsche

PWR Organisation & Entwicklung            Tel:   +41 (0)1 856 2202
Giacomo Pati                              Fax:   +41 (0)1 856 2201
Hintereichenstrasse 7
CH-8166 Niederweningen                    Web:

View raw message