cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject JDK 1.2 vs 1.1: my final proposal
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:36:54 GMT
rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> From my perspective, I don't believe that Cocoon is merely a toy, so I
> personally would be more conservative.

While everybody agrees that JDK 1.2 is the way to go (or even 1.3 if we
wait a little more), there are very few things that make it impossible
to develop Cocoon on a 1.1 platform.

In fact, Cocoon 1.x _is_ a 1.1 application as all the other java
projects hosted by the ASF.

There are a couple of things that 1.2 will make a difference with, they
are:

 - memory store (for the use of soft references... even if current
implementations do not seem to be that good)

 - everything that requires java2d (raster generation)

everything else can be restated as follows:

 - security -> the servlet engine should deal with this

 - collections -> we'll use the 1.1 backported collection framework and
later update the import statements.... simple transition

 - classloading -> the classloader problem appears to be a jserv
problem... even if not easy to solve, we might hack around it
internally... This does not require 1.2

So, my (hopefully final) proposal is:

 1) in core, keep 1.1 compatibiliy
 2) where absolutely necessary use 1.2, but only in components
 3) if possible, give 1.1 alternatives to the 1.2 components

What do you think?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.