cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@localbar.com>
Subject Re: More on Cocoon 2 Get going documentation.
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2000 08:32:37 GMT
"Kevin A. Burton" wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> >
> > Please find included minor revision of the installing.xml document to
> > make Cocoon 2 work.
> >    * Java Virtual Machine A Java 1.2 or greater compatible virtual
> >      machine must be present for both command line and servlet type
> >      usage of Cocoon. Note that all servlet engines require a JVM to
> >      run so if you are already using servlets you already have one
> >      installed.
>
> Huh?  Did I miss something?  Was this voted on/talked about recently?
> This is a very bad idea as Linux/FreeBSD machines are still out the door
> on this issue.

This has been discussed over and over again. And I think the consensus has
been that if there is no JVM 1.2 available in October (Cocoon 2 preliminary
final release date), don't keep your hopes up that there ever will be one.

> I have yet to see a real reason why JDK 1.2 is required.  It takes 10%
> more time to do JDK 1.1 stuff.

Your 10% concern will easily be outweighed when we have managed to get a
grip on SoftReferences and can do better caching. Sometimes you have to let
go.

As for Linux, I am running on it, and will report any problems found. Just
managed to get Cocoon 2 to run, in native threads (although not supported).

Niclas