cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@localbar.com>
Subject Re: Bug reports...
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2000 06:01:50 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > build.sh and build.bat should have xml.jar in classpath for Ant to work.
>
> no. the ant.jar file you find in cocoon2 was compiled to work with
> xerces.

My fault, I think my local CVS was screwed up. No Ant.jar in it, and I had a old
ant.jar in my extension lib, so I started from scratch!!! Works!!

> > My Solution; Get the Recommendation from W3C at;
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-DOM-Level-2-20000307/java-binding.zip
> > and unzip them into the source directory and compile with them.
> > I have xerces.jar (CVS), xalan_0_20_0.jar (release) and sax.jar (w/
> > Cocoon2) in the lib directory, and they are in the classpath of JAVAC.
>
> just follow the instruction, people, and cleanup your ext/ directory
> which should _NEVER_ contain anything else but java extentions.

I know it is not the Cocoon project that screwed up, it is W3C who are not
distinct in their recommendation, and other people (incl. Sun) unable to have
some foresight.
The so called Java-Bindings should be packaged as a binary JAR as well, which
should be included separately from the applications that are using them. The
situation is absolutely horrendous, and definately against the naming and
deployment recommendations from Sun.
Not only does these interface show up every here and there, but the W3C
completely ignores the fact that interfaces DO NOT change over time. They are
either extended OR placed in different packages. And this is the real culprit of
the dom and sax bindings.
Anyone on this list has some influence to straighten this up.

> > The adventure continues later...

build.sh is lacking the Execute flag.
chmod +x build.sh
is required, unless one want to start by
sh build.sh which is a real drag...

I have also attached a more advanced script that will make an attemp to find a
JDK if JAVA_HOME is not set. The directories to look in should perhaps be
evaluated by a query among Linux users of where they place the JDK. I have just
made some qualified guesses.
Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge of how to do this on a Windows system
(if it is at all possible), sorry...

Niclas